[IAUC] CBET 4252: 20160204 : V2944 OPHIUCHI

quai en eps.harvard.edu quai en eps.harvard.edu
Mie Feb 3 20:54:39 ART 2016

                                                  Electronic Telegram No. 4252
Central Bureau for Astronomical Telegrams
Mailing address:  Hoffman Lab 209; Harvard University;
 20 Oxford St.; Cambridge, MA  02138; U.S.A.
e-mail:  cbatiau en eps.harvard.edu (alternate cbat en iau.org)
URL http://www.cbat.eps.harvard.edu/index.html
Prepared using the Tamkin Foundation Computer Network

V2944 OPHIUCHI
     R. J. Rudy, R. W. Russell, K. B. Crawford, and S. J. Wiktorowicz, The
Aerospace Corporation; M. Sitko, Space Science Institute; and E. Volquardsen
and D. Griep, Infrared Telescope Facility (IRTF), report on 0.7- to 2.5-micron
spectroscopy of V2944 Oph (Nova Oph 2015 No. 1; cf. IAUC 9276), acquired on
2016 Jan. 23 UT using the Spex instrument on the IRTF and compare that to data
taken on 2015 Oct. 22 with the Aerospace Corporation's VNIRIS spectrograph on
the Shane reflector at Lick Observatory.  The principal spectral change
between the two epochs is the appearance of coronal lines.  These lines
include [Si VI], [Si VII], and [Ca VIII] and have distinct profiles with the
lines peaking near the blue and red edges and dropping to near continuum
levels at line center.  Overall, the line cores fill in as the line excitation
drops, being flat-topped or centrally peaked for the H I and O I lines.  The
full-width-at-zero-intensity (FWZI) values are greater for the coronal lines,
reaching 4000 km/s, compared to 2400 km/s for the H I features.  O I emission
lines are present at both epochs and indicate a reddening of E(B-V) = 1.4 +/-
0.3.  There is no evidence for the presence of dust in the nova ejecta.

NOTE: These 'Central Bureau Electronic Telegrams' are sometimes
      superseded by text appearing later in the printed IAU Circulars.

                         (C) Copyright 2016 CBAT
2016 February 4                  (CBET 4252)              Daniel W. E. Green