[IAUC] CBET 1288: 20080306 : SUPERNOVA 2008I IN NGC 3978

IAUC mailing list quai en cfa.harvard.edu
Jue Mar 6 18:10:21 ARST 2008

                                                  Electronic Telegram No. 1288
Central Bureau for Astronomical Telegrams
INTERNATIONAL ASTRONOMICAL UNION
M.S. 18, Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory, Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
IAUSUBS en CFA.HARVARD.EDU or FAX 617-495-7231 (subscriptions)
CBAT en CFA.HARVARD.EDU (science)
URL http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/iau/cbat.html

SUPERNOVA 2008I IN NGC 3978
    J. M. Silverman and A. V. Filippenko, University of California, Berkeley;
and L.-H. Chien, Institute for Astronomy, University of Hawaii, report that
inspection of a CCD spectrogram (range 320-690 nm), obtained on Mar. 4 UT
with the Keck I 10-m telescope (+ LRIS), shows that 2008I (CBET 1210) is a
type-II supernova.  The spectrum exhibits hydrogen Balmer lines having
P-Cyg profiles.  Removing the host-galaxy recession velocity of 9700 km/s,
calculated from narrow emission lines, the minimum of the H-alpha absorption
is blueshifted by about 6600 km/s.

NOTE: These 'Central Bureau Electronic Telegrams' are sometimes
      superseded by text appearing later in the printed IAU Circulars.

                         (C) Copyright 2008 CBAT
2008 March 6                     (CBET 1288)              Daniel W. E. Green