[IAUC] CBET 1036: 20070817 : SUPERNOVA 2007gr IN NGC 1058

IAUC mailing list quai en cfa.harvard.edu
Jue Ago 16 22:00:24 ART 2007

                                                  Electronic Telegram No. 1036
Central Bureau for Astronomical Telegrams
INTERNATIONAL ASTRONOMICAL UNION
M.S. 18, Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory, Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
IAUSUBS en CFA.HARVARD.EDU or FAX 617-495-7231 (subscriptions)
CBAT en CFA.HARVARD.EDU (science)
URL http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/iau/cbat.html

SUPERNOVA 2007gr IN NGC 1058
     R. Chornock, A. V. Filippenko, W. Li, and R. J. Foley, University of
California, Berkeley, report that inspection of a preliminary calibration of
CCD spectra (range 340-960 nm), obtained by D. Reitzel and R. M. Rich
(University of California, Los Angeles) on Aug. 16.5 UT with the 3-m Shane
telescope (+ Kast) at Lick Observatory, shows that 2007gr (CBET 1034) is a
type-Ib/c supernova, not long after the explosion.  He I lines might be
present (e.g., there is a prominent absorption line that could be either He
I 587.6-nm or Na I D), but it is too early to clearly determine whether the
object is of type Ib.  Strong absorption troughs due to O I 777.4-nm and the
Ca II near-infrared triplet are present, as is often the case in type-Ic
supernovae.

NOTE: These 'Central Bureau Electronic Telegrams' are sometimes
      superseded by text appearing later in the printed IAU Circulars.

                         (C) Copyright 2007 CBAT
2007 August 17                   (CBET 1036)              Daniel W. E. Green